Friday, January 19, 2007

Separate Contexts to be More Productive

I'm anticipating next week to be busy, at least for the first few days. Surely you've had similar weeks. You know the storm's approaching. Here's how I'm going to handle it this week.

I will be traveling a lot on Sunday. I'm taking a three hour train ride in the morning and evening. For the past couple days, and up until Sunday, I'm trying to do things that I can't do while I'm traveling. I'll save things that I can do on the train for Sunday.

This is a big key in the GTD methodology: separate the contexts. For this simple example, I'm thinking in two contexts: home v. travel. To be most productive, I'm trying to do things when & where I can do them. This takes planning, but the rewards will be worth it.

In the end, I'm saving some computer-based tasks for my train trip. I'll leverage my 9-cell laptop battery and get as many things done on the computer as I can. Mostly this will be writing, such as blog posts, letters, etc.

No comments: